Even though it’s a common social custom, Indian law does not make it mandatory; it’s always a woman’s choice to keep her maiden name or consider a name change after marriage. But if you decide to change your name, in order to get it validated, the changed name must be documented in all the official records thereafter.
How do I change my name after marriage in India?
Procedure To Change Your Name After Marriage in India
- Step 1 – Your Marriage Certificate. You’ll have to first get your new name registered on your marriage certificate. …
- Step 2 – Get an Affidavit. …
- Step 3 – Declaration to Third Parties. …
- Step 4 – Make The Changes.
Should marriage certificate have new name?
Most marriage certificates don’t show married names. Instead, they’ll show the current name, maiden name, or birth name. … For those states, your marriage certificate is proof of a name change event, even if it doesn’t show your new name. The act of marriage itself is what allows your name change to take place.
Is it necessary to change name after marriage in India?
The answer to this is that Indian law does not require/mandate you to change your surname after marriage. It is a social norm. Also, it is a myth that your surname will automatically change after marriage or marriage registration.
Can I change my surname after marriage?
In case you wish to change your name after marriage, you will have to submit a copy of your husband’s passport along with a copy of the marriage certificate. … Marriage is a life-changing decision. And for many women, although much fewer than before, it’s one that involves the change of a name (or surname) as well.
Is name change necessary on Aadhar card after marriage?
As your marriage certificate will work as proof of name change, you can easily change your AADHAR card name by submitting a soft copy of that document. However, AADHAR can be used as a supporting document in changing your name in other important documents such as Passport, Bank accounts and others.
What documents are required for name change in Aadhar card after marriage?
Documents required for the updation or correction of name in aadhaar card
- PAN card.
- Driving license.
- Voter ID.
- Ration card.
- Credit cards with photo.
- Bank ATM cards with photo.
- Any photo identity card issued by the State or Central Government in India.
Can you still be Miss after marriage?
If you are keeping your maiden name after marriage then you might like to go by “Ms.” instead, but you don’t have to. You could keep your own name but just change the prefix to “Mrs.”. … You can change your title (i.e. Miss, Mrs. or Ms.) at any time, and you don’t need a deed poll to do so.
What needs to be changed after marriage?
What do I need to update after getting married?
- Your Social Security card. If you’ve changed your name, this should be your first stop. …
- Your driver’s license. …
- Your credit union/bank account information. …
- Your payroll information. …
- Your life insurance and retirement accounts. …
- Your insurance policies. …
- Your creditors.
How do I change my wifes surname after marriage?
1. Notarized Affidavit
- Step 1: File a joint affidavit with a declaration of marriage. …
- Step 2: Print the affidavit on an INR 10 stamp paper and have it duly signed by husband and wife.
- Step 3: Attach the marriage certificate and passport-sized photographs of husband and wife to the signed affidavit.
Does caste of girl change after marriage?
In a judgement, the Apex Court of India ruled that the caste is decided as per the kin of birth. It can not be changed through marriage. If a woman of general caste marries a man who is from scheduled caste, no matter what the ritual says, she can not change her caste legally and avail the benefits available to SC.
Does wife name change after marriage?
“It is not the rule of law or mandatory that a woman should have changed her name or surname after her marriage or remarriage and use the surname of her present husband with her own name.
Does a woman last name automatically change after marriage?
Since your name does not change automatically when you get married, you have to make sure you follow all the necessary legal steps to changing your name after the wedding.